05. mars 2020
Merivaara is aware of the corona virus infection risk
At the beginning of the year, a new coronavirus has been identified that causes influenza-like respiratory symptoms. Symptoms may include fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, headache and myalgia. Some people who are infected can also get pneumonia. However, most infected only get mild symptoms. In healthy people, the disease is not dangerous and it’s self-healing with home care. Individuals who have a reduced general condition due to underlying diseases can develop into dangerous conditions. There is no cure for coronavirus infection yet.
Symptoms caused by coronavirus are typical flu symptoms. Seasonal influenza and other flu viruses are now in flux, so most of the diseases with flu symptoms are currently caused by a virus other than the coronavirus.
How this effect on Merivaara?
Merivaara is following World Health Organization’s (WHO) and Finnish Institute for health and welfare’s (THL) recommendations. THL is monitoring the international situation with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), developing guidelines for health care and laboratories, assessing the health risks related to the coronavirus and drawing up assessments of how the situation with the virus may develop.
We are not travelling to epidemic areas in order to protect our staff and society. Online meetings are recommended instead of travelling.
Coronavirus may have an effect on some of the Merivaara products’ delivery times.
How to protect against infection?
Coronaviruses are transmitted from one person to another, particularly via the respiratory tract, as a droplet infection. The greatest risk of infection occurs when the infected person coughs or sneezes in the immediate area. Contagion is also possible as contact contagion through surfaces.
- Keep your hands clean. Wash your hands with warm water and soap every time you go to work, before eating, smoking, sniffing and leaving work.
- If washing with water and liquid soap is not possible, use an alcohol-based hand rinse unless otherwise instructed in your work.
- When using an alcoholic hand rinse, take one at a time to rub your hands throughout.
- If you use disposable gloves in your work, remove them without touching the outside of the gloves. Wash hands after removing protective gloves.
- Do not touch your face or nose with protective gloves or dirty hands.
- If you cough, cough the handkerchief, throw the handkerchief into waste. If you do not have a handkerchief, cough at the top of your sleeve. Don't cough your palm.
- The use of a mouth-nose mask is not necessary, but healthcare personnel, people with coronavirus infection and their families are exceptions.